Thursday 25 November 2010

Aus Day 66 - Tramways and Trees

Wednesday 24th November    Aus Day 66

Had a lie-in until 08.00 this morning after a cold night. Shower, breakfast and then published yesterday’s Blog and dealt with a few e-mails.

I arrived for the Tram journey at 10.35, having cut through from the back of the caravan park. Bought my ticket from the booking office/souvenir shop and boarded the tram which departed on time at 10.45.

The Pemberton Tram
Travelling Past The Pemberton Saw Mill
The journey was through the quite dense forest and we were soon surrounded by Karri, Marri and Jarrah trees. We were travelling at a slow speed, probably no more than 15 mph and after a while we stopped at “The Cascades” for a photo opportunity.


Some of the Giant Trees in the Forest

The Cascades - Lacking a Bit Of Water
A Typical Logging Bridge
The Hollow Burned Tree
The Warren River Timber Bridge
View of the Warren Bridge From The Tram
We soon moved on but all the time the driver kept up a commentary on the flora and fauna to be seen, as well as some of the history of the line and the areas we were travelling through. We eventually reached Warren Bridge and were once again afforded a 15 minute photo opportunity and a chance to follow a trail which looped past a large burned tree which still survives.

The tram then reversed its route back to Pemberton, this time at a faster speed and without the commentary. We arrived back at the Pemberton Tramway Station at 12.40, about 10 minutes later than advertised.

I hot-footed it back to the caravan park where I got the van ready to move and then hit the road just after 1.00 pm, heading for Beedelup National Park and arrived at the Beedelup Falls car park some 25 minutes later. First off I visited the Falls which, unfortunately, were not very impressive, apparently because of the lack of rain. However, the small suspension bridge was very interesting and a real swinger.

The Beedelup Falls Map

The Beedelup Falls From The Lookout

The Beedelup Falls From Downstream

The Little Suspension Bridge
Having completed the loop in about 30 minutes, I decided to take the longer trail to see the “Walk through tree.” This is a return trip of about 50 minutes which did indeed take me to a tree which one can walk through (well climb through to be more exact).

The "Walk Through" Tree

JB Inside The Tree

Beedelup Lake From The Forest Track
I completed the loop by about 3.00 pm so set off back to Pemberton calling in at the supermarket on the way.

I made my regular Skype contact with Eileen at about 16.45, after which I made myself some tea and settled down to sort the 60 plus photographs I have taken during the day and to draft the Blog ready for publishing in the morning. In between times I made further arrangements to collect my new car on the day after I arrive back in the UK. Eventually, Zebedee caught up with me again and dispatched me to bed at about 11.00 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions here.