Wednesday 24 November 2010

Aus Day 65 - A Tree Too Far?

Tuesday 23rd November    Aus Day 65

Rose at 06.00 to a cold but brighter morning, shower and breakfast and then checked my emails. At last, Blackpool Honda have responded so, I can now get things underway to ensure my new car is available when I get home on 13th December.

Today is brother David’s birthday so Happy Birthday David.

You will remember the photo below when I asked if anyone knew what it was, well, courtesy of my very good friend Fred Moor, I can now tell you that it is Datura Suaveolens (pronounced Dat chura Swa veo lens) (re-named in recent years as Brugmansia suaveolens). Commonly known as Angel's Trumpet. Many thanks Fred.
Datura Suaveolens
Having packed up the van, I set off for Boyup Brook, simply because I believe it has a Pioneer Museum which may be worth a visit. However, having arrived there at about 09.30, I found that the Museum doesn’t open on a Tuesday. I made good use of the time though, visiting what remains of the railway station which apparently closed in about 1980. One of the photos below shows a tree having grown up through the remains of the track.

Boyup Brook Street Art

Wagons Marooned on the Disused Railway

The Tree Has Grown Through The Track
Leaving Boyup Brook, I retraced my route through Bridgetown and headed for Manjimup where I had a couple of trees in mind. The first of these is a giant Jarrah tree, known as King Jarrah, reputed to be 500 years old and which narrowly escaped being cut down to make railway sleepers in 1910.

The King Jarrah Tree
JB at The King Jarrah Tree
The King
The second is the Diamond Tree Lookout at the top of which is the only wooden tree top tower in the world. This is still used as an integral part of the fire management and spotting programme. The tree has spikes set into it to form a rudimentary staircase and climbing is allowed. However, I chickened out about half way up.

You Can Just Make Out The "Staircase"
View From Half Way Up The Diamond Tree
Having got myself back down to terra firma, I continued to Pemberton, where I booked into the caravan park shortly after 2.00 pm.

Once set up, I set off for an exploratory wander around the town, taking the shortcut through the back of the caravan park. I quickly found my way to the Pemberton Tramway which operates trips into the forest and which I plan to take a trip on in the morning. You can see some of the old rolling stock which is stored there. The steam engines in particular seem to have been built in England.



A "V" Class 2-8-2 Mikado Built in Darlington, England

A 4-6-0 Engine Built In Manchester, England
The rest of the town is unremarkable and stretched along the main road, as is the usual format. Eventually I made it back to the van, catching a few parrots on the ground along the way.

Just One Of A Group Of Six
I made myself some tea and then settled down for a quiet evening drafting the Blog. Unfortunately, there is no contact with Eileen today as the timing of her commitments in the UK prevents. I spent the remainder of the evening reading before Zebedee said "Tme for Bed" at about 10.30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions here.