Sunday 5 December 2010

Aus Day 77 - Rain, Lightning and More Rain

Sunday 5th December    Aus Day 77

A dismal night with rain and thunder waking me at frequent intervals. Rose at 07.30 with rain and thunder still at it. Had breakfast and then dashed to the shower during a break in the rain but, it was raining again for the dash back to the van.

It looks as though rain is set in for a while so got quite wet while carrying out the external tasks to get the van ready to move. It isn’t too warm either.

Departed from the caravan park at about 09.30 but a couple of kilometres down the road the battery warning light illuminated. I pulled over and tried re-cycling a couple of times but without success so I turned back into Ceduna looking for a public phone box so that I could phone Apollo and report the problem. However, having got to the phone I tried re-cycling one more time – success! – the battery light remained off so I decided to take the chance and set off on the road to Pt Augusta at about 10.00 am.

It wasn’t long before the rain started up again and at times became quite torrential, along with spectacular displays of lightning. I seemed to be travelling with the weather as torrential rain and lightning continued for the next 150 kms before it finally eased off. Unfortunately, I wasn’t in a position to take photos.

Eventually I refuelled at 13.45 in Kimba which claims to be half way across Australia, and counts a “Big Gulah” amongst its attractions.
Kimba's Big Gulah
I had a second photo opportunity at a place called “Iron Knob” (yes, it is on the map) which is a famous iron ore mining town that appears to be one gigantic slag heap.

Iron Knob From The Eyre Highway

A Closer View of Iron Knob
The rain restarted as I as approaching Pt Augusta but, I arrived at the caravan park where I had stayed when I was starting my trip at about 3.30 pm.

I parked up and got my laundry on before getting started on drafting this Blog. There was not much else to do before my scheduled Skype contact with Eileen so made myself some tea and watched the News on TV until the appointed time. Made my day, as usual, and afterwards I sat down to complete the Blog before relaxing for the remainder of the evening.

Zebedee finally caught up with me at about 11.00pm and sent me straight to bed. Good Night All.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions here.