Saturday 11 September 2010

Day 11 - Head for the Hills

Day 11 Friday September 10th

Up at 07.00 although I didn’t want to. It was B***** cold outside my duvet and the thought of getting outside the van to the shower was not a pleasant one. However it had to be done. Once the decision was made and action initiated, I soon got myself organised and had breakfast over in no time at all. Decided to spend a bit of time checking emails and had one response to deal with. However there was no reply from the one I sent to the camper site yesterday asking about reservations so I will just have to pitch up. I don’t anticipate any problem though.

There is no rush this morning as I don’t have too far to travel, only about 170 kms, no distance at all so, didn’t set off until about 09.15.

Hadn’t actually got very far when I decided to call into ShantyTown which is a replica of how some of the old time settlements were. Plus, of course, there was a real live steam engine for me to take a ride on. Unfortunately, it was being driven by a girl!!!
Water wheel driving machinery- used amazingly little water
The Steam Engine in use - with Female Driver
Lovely Engine but didn't travel far - About 0.5 miles

Shanty Town Stores - Some Operational

More Shanty Town Stores - Plus Female in Period Costume

JB in Shanty Town 'Main Street'
Left Shanty town at about 11.15 and continued South on Route 6 until I stopped for a spot of lunch at a scenic lookout, the name of which I inadvertently forgot to note but it was somewhere between Ross and Hari Hari. The weather is a strange combination of heavy rain interspersed with short periods of bright sunshine. Quite a contrast from yesterday.

The terrain I had been travelling through for most of the day was rather unremarkable and through quite large areas of very flat countryside. Mostly cattle farming, probably dairy farming to judge by the many herds of cows dotted about.

However, as I was approaching Franz Josef Village the road started to climb, locally signed ‘Mount Hercules’ but that name doesn’t appear on the map I am using. Passed by Lake Wahapo and took a couple of snaps
Lake Wahapo
Lake Wahapo
before arriving in Franz Josef by about 15.00. Located the camper site ‘Rain Forest Retreat’ and booked in before going to do some more provisions shopping. During this trip, I was checking out the Tourist Information office and discovered that access to the Glacier was only 5 kms up the road so jumped back in the van and went for a quick visit. (As you do!)

Took the 10 minute walk from the car park to the scenic look out and the following are a sample of the shots I took. Thank God for digital cameras, There is no way that I would want to be carting around the amount of roll film I would need for this trip.
Franz Josef Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier - Disappears into cloud at the top
Franz Josef Glacier - Telephoto Shot

JB at the Franz Josef Glacier
Returned to the camp site and got set up. Had an individual, microwave, pizza for tea. Sounds revolting but it fills a hole. That then just left time to establish Skype contact and then retire to the site bar where happy hour was from 7pm to 9 pm and the draught Tui was available at $4.50 a pint. About £2.00 so it seemed churlish to refuse. However I did have the laptop with me and spent the time drafting this very update. And then so to bed said Zebedee. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions here.