Friday 24 September 2010

Aus Day 5 - Heading North at last

Friday 24th September Aus Day 5


Well, today is when I set off on my travels round Australia proper. So, up early to get the cases packed. Trying, of course to ensure that nothing got left behind. I am keen to get going but have to confess that I will miss the bed I have been sleeping in for the past few nights. Right on cue, the weather is improving and the sun is shining this morning and it looks as though it will get out quite warm.

Valerie is very kindly driving me into the North of Adelaide in order to pick up the Camper Van from the depot and we set off at about 10.00. Traffic was quite heavy but we made it to the depot by approximately 11.15 to find the van sitting there ready for me. Always a good start.

Went through the hand over procedure fairly quickly, bade farewell to Valerie, as she continued on her way to visit son Ben again, and then hit the road heading North, with the intention of making a fast first leg up to Port Augusta commonly known as the Crossroads of Australia. While on this occasion I am heading North to Alice Springs and Darwin I will no doubt pass through again in early December on my return to Adelaide via The Nullabor Plain

Once beyond the Adelaide suburbs, the road passes through a considerable expense of flat countryside which seems to be devoted to mainly arable farming. I stopped briefly after a couple of hours to take the following photos just as an indicator of the area I was driving through. Eventually, without incident, I arrived at Port Augusta and located the camper van site before going to stock up on provisions.

Off the A1 Near Port Pirie heading for Port Augusta

A1 Near Port Pirie heading for Port Augusta
Returned to the site, where I set up for the night and took the following photos from within the site fence since it boasts a view of the Flinders Range.

From the Shoreline Caravan Park - Port Augusta

Flinders Range from the Shoreline Caravan Park
As I sit in the van, drafting this Blog entry, it is 9.40 pm local time and I am still warm, even though wearing only a tee-shirt and jeans. A significant change from my last night in New Zealand and even the last few nights at Willunga. I am looking forward to a comfortable night and another fine day tomorrow as I head up the A87 past Woomera to Glendambo. However, I can now hear Zebedee calling, "time for bed".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions here.