Sunday 12 December 2010

Saturday 11th December - Bangkok Tourist

Bangkok Tourist

Rose at 08.30 which, given the time difference from yesterday, meant that I had about 6 hours sleep last night. Showered then wandered down to breakfast in the Concorde Restaurant.

I finally managed to get hold of a LAN cable and so, was able to connected to the Internet. I then published yesterday’s Blog and dealt with a few e-mails.

At about 10.30, the weather improved somewhat, with the sun threatening to break out, so I decided to head off and do my first tourist stint. On the way out I took some photos of the Hotel and then walked up the New Petchburi street to get to the MRT (Metro).

The View From My Hotel Room - Including Smog

The Hotel Dining Room - The Cascade Restaurant

The Hotel Amari Atrium Foyer - With Christmas Tree

The New Petchburi Road - Just Outside The Hotel Heading For The MRT
Not having much advanced information I chose to go towards the river and ended up at the Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong) just off the China Town area.

Bangkok Railway Station - Hua Lamphong
I spent some time wandering around the little back streets were there are hundreds of street vendors, most of them producing hot food off the back of a small barrow. Eventually I stumbled across a golden temple which I believe is called ‘Trainmit’ or ‘Golden Buddha.’
The Golden Buddha Temple

The Golden Buddha Temple - "Traimit"
By this time it was getting quite hot and steamy so, I headed back to the hotel for a cooling off period and also to be available for my Skype session with Eileen at 3.30 pm local time. After a little difficulty getting started, possibly because I had just had an automatic update to Skype, we had a lovely chat which is the penultimate one before I get back to the UK.

I followed this with a short session with sister Valerie, just to bring her up to date with my transit since leaving her at Adelaide yesterday.

Another shower and then heading off down town to try and see some of the night life (from a distance, of course), then it will probably be an early return to the Hotel and a nightcap in the Mingles Pub. Well, they still owe me a free drink.

Following advice from the “Groovy Map” guide, I made my way t the Silom Road area where there are sleazy bars, bright lights, a night market and lots of people. I imagine that it would be very easy to get lost here but, somehow I was able to keep track of my whereabouts as I was wandering around. Apart from the usual “attractions” it is obvious that Christmas is just around the corner although the displays I saw didn’t seem to have much to do with religion.
Christmas Display in the Silom Road Area
Santa Claus and Happy New Year

Christmas Tree Display in Thaniya Plaza

The "Attractions" in Thaniya Plaza
I eventually found myself a seat at a roadside bar and watched the world go by while sipping a ‘Tiger’ beer. I soon found my way to the ‘Patpong Night Market’ where thousands of tourists are being hustled by thousands of stall holders, all of them calling “look, look,” and trying to offload every imaginable souvenir nik-naks including, “genuine” Rolex watches for a “bargain” price. Those who know me will find it difficult to believe that I somehow managed to resist all overtures to part with my money.

Entrance to Patpong Night Market
Patpong Market Stalls - I Somehow Managed to Pick A Quiet Second
A Large Scale Food Operation
Having had my fill of the Silom Road area, including another pint of ‘Tiger’ at an Irish pub on the corner of Thaniya Plaza, I again followed the advice given in the guide and made my way to the ‘Little India’ area on Sukhumvit Road which, is on the way back to the hotel.
Christmas Display In The Sukhumvit Road Area
 However, this area didn’t have the same attraction and in any case I was feeling very hot and sticky, so after a short time I returned to the hotel and had a final drink in the Mingles Pub before retiring at about 11.30 pm. Good Night All.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions here.