Tuesday 19 October 2010

Aus Day 30 - Art Work and Awnings

Tuesday 19th October Aus Day 30


Up at 06.45 with the sun shining and the birds singing; well, they were making a din anyway. Shower and breakfast and then completed Blog update before getting packed up and ready to roll by about 09.30. I refuelled on the way out although I probably didn’t need to but, I always think that it is wise to fill up when you have the opportunity.

Motored at a steady pace towards Ubirr which is north, north east of Jabiru and where there are examples of Aboriginal rock art and a short walk and climb which offer views across the Nadab floodplain. I took the following photo on the road as I was starting to get a view of the outcrops.
View on the Road from Jabiru to Ubirr
I arrived at Ubirr (pronounced ‘Oo-beerr’) at about 10.40. There is nothing in the car park other than a toilet block and a sign to “Ubirr Art Site” pointing out the walking track.
This Way Folks
A short walk brought me (and an army of others) to the first of the art sites and although I took numerous photos, they don’t compress well for publishing on the Blog. I have selected just a couple which may give you an idea of the art concerned. Each of the pictures of course, tells a story, only some of which we are allowed to hear.
Example of Aboriginal Rock Art
The Story of Mabuyu

[Insert Ubirr_07 and Ubirr_13]

The second of these pictures tells the story of Mabuyu who was dragging his catch on a string after a fishing expedition when a greedy person cut the string and stole his fish. That night Mabuyu waited until the thieves had eaten his fish and were camped inside their cave near the East Alligator River. Then he blocked the cave with a huge rock. “Next morning they never came out. Because they pinched it they got punished. Kids, ladies and men, all dead – finished.” Bill Neidjie.

Following the series of galleries in the rocks, there came a bit of a climb to get up to the lookout point which gave the following views of an area which is likely to be inundated in the not too distant future. An event which occurs annually during the wet season.
Climbing the Hill Overlooking the Floodplain
View of the Floodplain From the Top
The Nadab Floodplain

View From The Lookout
After scrambling back down and making the relatively short walk back to the car park, I headed just a bit back down the road to view Cahills Crossing, a ford which connects the National Park to Arnhem Land which has been recognised as Aboriginal land since 1931. The crossing was named after Paddy Cahill who operated a buffalo, cattle and agricultural station at Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) from the 1890s until 1922.
The Ford at Cahills Crossing
Just Because I can't See Crocs, Doesn't Mean They Aren't There!
Despite the name of the river, East Alligator River, I didn’t see a single croc anywhere although there are prominent warning posters and apparently they are around at all times.

I then left Ubirr and the East Alligator River region and headed back towards Jabiru but took a small diversion into the Bowali Visitor Centre. Here there are examples of Aboriginal art, a cultural exhibition and video shows about the region and the wildlife. The photo below is of a mural done by various school children depicting the various regions of Australia and how various activities can benefit the environment.
School Children's Mural at the Bowali Visitor Centre
After an hour or so taking in all the centre had to offer I headed back the short distance to the Kakadu Lodge and Caravan Park where once again I availed myself of the swimming pool facility for an hour or so before returning to the van to start drafting the Blog entry and to make myself a spot of tea. After last night’s effort, it was back to salad. Although I still had to boil some eggs.

Just after I had finished tea the rain started, complete with thunder and lightning. Not too bad I thought, I don’t need to go out again and it will soon pass. However, after about 30 minutes there was a sound of rushing water and it appears that my awning collapsed under the weight of water collecting in it. Still, now it’s empty, it will just have to wait until the morning. Mind you the rain has now stopped although I am being serenaded by a frog chorus. It’s lovely out here.

22.40 and I have just finished a Skype session with Eileen and she is almost ready to come and join me. One more sleep to go and finish packing the suitcase then she will be off to the airport on Wednesday. Yeeee Haaaaa!

However, that chap Zebedee is knocking at the door and telling me that it is time I was in bed. OK for him but I don’t know where I will be tomorrow night other than somewhere in Litchfield National Park. Night All!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions here.